Thursday, September 24, 2009

An Excess of Hospitality


Awkward experience of the day:

I'm moving this weekend, and looking to trade in my loft bed for a bed...a bit closer to the floor. So I went to a furniture store on 14th street this morning (I happened to be walking by right when they opened, and the guy opening the door asked if I wanted to come in. I said I did, and thus begins our story.). I walked to the back of the store where the beds were, trying not to look too interested so as to avoid pesky sales-traps. I reached the end of the wall, and looked around for more, but instead all I saw was the guy from the door heading straight for me.

Being the beneficent person I am, I didn't avoid him. Instead, when he asked how he could help me, I responded:

"Sure. Um...which of these beds comes in a full?"

He led me over to the computer where he did a quick search, then directed me over to one of said beds. We talked about pricing, then I asked what the price difference would be on a twin.

"Are you sleeping alone?" he queried.

"Um, yeah. It's just me."

"You sure you don't need room for anyone else?" [This is my best match for what he said, which really did involve a lot of mumbling. I hate mumblers...]

"Yeah, I'm sure. I just need a single bed. Also, I have a roommate, so it needs to fit in the space."

While I thought the previous conversation was strange, I didn't think too much of it, and I was telling him that I'd have to think it over because I needed to look at the space and consider my budget, etc., etc. So, being the concerned salesperson that he was, he offered to have me fill out a customer contact card so he could let me know if there were any sales that I might be interested. I'm really bad at saying no, so I filled out the card, and James gave me his card, and I left.

Immediately after this, I walked across the street to a smaller furniture store and purchased a futon (which I'm actually gonna try and unbuy tomorrow...) from a little old man with a heavy NY accent.

I thought no more of my morning encounter until I received a text from James asking if I wanted to hang out...

I'm all for being able to put yourself out there and everything, but, correct me if I'm wrong, I think this was going a bit too far. Maybe I'm just horrified that I didn't catch on earlier. Maybe I should have understood, when he gave me his card and mentioned that his cell number was on it, that meant that in filling out his little customer contact card, I was actually giving him my number. I did not. I thought I was opening up the possibility of getting a discount on some furniture. I feel deceived. I did not respond.

2 comments:

Mama Baer | 1.2.3.4.5 said...

Hi april!!! so fun to find you have a blog! now we can really keep in touch!
btw: that really was awkward.... and creepy too.

Christina Beacham said...

LOL I kind of LOVE that that happened to you, but only because it made me laugh so hard (not because I want creepy men after you)

Stay safe in NY..anymore blog posts like this and I'll be shipping you some pepper spray :)