Friday, February 11, 2011

127 Hours

I wasn't 100% sure what to expect from this film. I knew it was about a hiker in Utah who gets stuck in a crevice and eventually has to sever his own arm to escape. Such a plot, one that takes place in a single, unmoving location, leaves a lot of time for the director to get creative, and creative he did get. They made a lot of interesting editing choices, and though I was skeptical at first, I think they worked really well. There are some gorgeous shots, and the story is really beautiful. James Franco did a fabulous job, though his portrayal felt a bit caricature-ish at the beginning, by the middle it was dead on.

I love watching a movie that lets me leave the theater feeling elated, and that's what this film did. It's a great tribute to the human spirit. 4.5 stars.

No comments: