Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Arthur

After seeing signs all over town indicating that the new "Arthur" is being filmed right in my own back yard, and after Russell Brand's hosting of SNL this weekend, I found myself drawn to the original "Arthur" staring Dudley Moore and Liza Minnelli. Netflix instant is among my best friends these days, and I found that it did not let me down in this instance.

Arthur is a millionaire who has never worked or struggled a day in his life. He stumbles drunkenly through life without much care for anything but the sound of his own voice, and so he remains patently happy. Until his father, desperate for his only son to finally grow up and start doing something, tells him that he must marry Susan or be cut off. Financially.

Arthur agrees finally, but things take a turn for the complicated when he meets Tina during a vengeful shopping spree at Bergdorf Goodman. The two seem meant for each other, but Arthur is already promised to Susan and the drama continues.

I liked this film every bit as much as I anticipated. The writing is wonderfully quippy. Dudley Moore's laughter can be a bit grating, but if you can get past that, it's good fun from start to finish. I am incredibly excited to see Russell Brand's interpretation, and I love the fact that the butler becomes a nanny (played by the brilliant Helen Mirren) in the remake. Cannot wait to see it.

No comments: